Regardless of the goals, your company tries to achieve, in order to address them effectively, you are required to have a staff development plan – a thoughtful sequence that describes the main steps. Here we present you a sample of staff training plan:
Staff development plan template
- Step 1. Formulate competencies. Company management is aware of the need for training when it is necessary to achieve a particular goal, and the competence of employees is not enough for this. At this point, the main thing is to formulate your goals and vision of the company's development – the more precisely, the better. Based on this, you can proceed to the formulation of future competencies of employees. Creating a competency system is the starting point for developing a corporate training plan. The management of the company and the HR manager have to decide what knowledge, skills and personal qualities of the employees are needed for them to fulfill their responsibilities properly. If there are difficulties with this step, you can consult with the training company; perhaps they will prompt you the necessary solution.
- Step 2. Evaluate the desired result. Far from always, a company has clear criteria for evaluating corporate training conducted, so you should consider this issue as well. It is essential to define what will be considered successful and what not. Besides the fact that you can accurately imagine the desired result, your trainer will also understand what is required, and most importantly, how to achieve this. Learning objectives should lead to a specific outcome. Here is a sample of the goals in a staff training plan: “to train call-center operators to interview potential consumers according to an approved algorithm, while simultaneously entering data into the database. After training, each employee must make about ten active calls per hour, filling in at least 60% of the database fields. The course lasts for three days, including practice and validation of results. "
- Step 3. Select a training company. Now when you have formed goals, tasks, and vision for the future, you can proceed to search for a training company. On the Internet, you can find quite a lot of offers on specialized training, and we advise you to carefully evaluate your potential partner, not only in terms of the cost of the service but also in terms of professionalism, experience, feedback from other clients, advertising materials – everything you can find. Also, we advise you to ask several companies to submit to you a commercial offer describing their vision for accomplishing the task, so you can directly compare several applicants and choose the best option for yourself.
- Step. 4 Organize the learning process in a company. When you have chosen a training company, you should proceed to the next step – to organize training in a company and make up a document – a plan with the records of all the stages of training, the specialists involved, the time of the lesson and other vital points.
- Step 4. Control the process. As a rule, an HR-manager and the company's management are responsible for organizing and conducting corporate training. It is necessary to ensure that all participants of the training comply with the established plan and, if necessary, make adjustments in cases when unforeseen events occur, for example, one of the participants of the training is ill.
- Step 5. Analysis of the result and further training. The effectiveness of corporate training is determined by several factors that allow employees to retain their knowledge and apply them in practice. These factors are interactivity, memorability, flexibility in use, availability of acquired skills, and economic effect as well. Thus, the total investment should not exceed the positive effect in the form of growth of the company's income.
As an example, you may use an individual development plan below and later scale it up for the whole staff. Always remember that your organization is as strong as its weakest link. Thus, individual development is vital for overall success.
To be achieved from a performance plan
Skills or Competencies
To be learned or acquired)
What is needed (time, money, etc.)
Possible learning opportunities to try
Started / completed / results
Critical within the present position (1 year)
Important for growth within the present position (2 years)
Helpful for achieving career goals (3-5 years)
The above staff training plan example provides a general understanding of how to approach the organization of training in the company, and what things you need to pay attention to to get the desired result.