If you’re in doubt over which direction to take when it comes to further career development and you’re wondering which specialist area will be in demand next, here is a brief list of highly popular professions:
Six most promising career areas in 2018 - 2020
1. Programming and IT
The prospects of programmers and IT professionals of various kinds are now beyond favorable. The rapid implementation of digital technologies and the Internet into the banking sector, medicine, trade and other industries has led to a growing demand for software professionals. The history of humanity has never known such an intensive information exchange. This system requires a large staff of IT professionals.
Now let's take a look at some statistics (the forecast for growth in the number of vacancies by 2020 based on the evaluation of statistical data):
- Developers of software applications - 15%
- System engineers - 20%
- Database administrators - 20%
- Managers of computer systems - 10%
Granted, you will not become a top-notch engineer after completing a few short courses; for most of these positions you would have to get a university diploma. Regardless, in the near future this industry will require more and more new personnel.
2. Online user experience
The technical aspect of working with data is only part of the entire IT industry. After the data is processed, it must be presented to users, in the most convenient way possible. Here we need completely different specialists – designers of user experience – and a different approach than the engineer's approach to working with machines. An understanding of psychology and the fundamentals of human perception is the key to success in this area. These specialists will be in high demand shortly.
3. Project Management
Project managers have become very popular specialists, and it's not just about IT (where the demand for experts is always high). Such industries as healthcare, energy, and construction (infrastructure development in general), the banking sector, and the defense industry are growing quite rapidly in the UAE, and experienced managers are needed to organize teams to achieve their goals.
There are growth and development in the abovementioned industries, but what is even better for these specialists is that their skills are pretty much universal. A good project manager can completely change the scope of his/her activities; for example, a project manager may go from chemilals industry to construction of facilities for the high tech industry (of course, it will take some time to become acquainted with the new specifics, but still, it’s quite possible).
Now is the time for young professionals, the representatives of the millennial generation, whose characteristic feature is the ease with which they change their career path or even their field of activity. These people believe in making their own opportunities and know their own worth. In this regard, it becomes much more difficult to maintain a team, and therefore a true leader should have such skills. Any company interested in achieving success must maintain its staff and its competitiveness, so all companies need an effective manager.
Here are the key trends in this sector:
- All companies need good leaders – both top-level and low-level managers;
- Few millennials are ready to take responsibility for others, so it is not easy to find a good young specialist;
- A good leader will be the backbone on whom the business owner can rely in many aspects.
5. Digital marketing
Even if you are not a specialist in marketing, you must have heard something about digital marketing. The rapid growth and implementation of digital technologies have led to the fact that the whole industry of advertising and promotion of products is gradually moving into the digital world. Budgets for digital marketing continue to grow, as does the demand for professionals in the field.
Is it worth trying yourself in this industry? There are very good prospects for career growth and development. Here are the main trends in this area:
- Demand for professionals. The growth of the implementation of digital technologies in all spheres will continue. It is expected that by 2020 a large number of new jobs will appear in this industry, so it’s a very smart move to start building a career in an area where the demand for specialists will exceed the supply.
- Advantages of choosing the career. Given the high demand and versatility of the digital marketer, this specialist can afford to choose the best option for work – including scope, particular specialization, and other factors.
- Growth in income. As already noted, the growth in demand will continue in the coming years, exceeding the supply. In such a situation, the deficit will inevitably lead to an increase in the cost of services, which will also have a positive impact on the prospects of this industry.
- Start a career even before you start working for the company. The modern digital world allows a digital marketer to compile a good CV even before landing his/her first job with a company. All you need is a computer, knowledge, and access to the network.
6. Specialists in offline customer experience
Any company, regardless of the industry, is interested in strengthening the loyalty of its customers and increasing their number. Developing a successful customer service strategy is one of the most important tasks of every business.
Since this is the direct task of a specialist in customer experience, the demand for these specialists will continue to grow.
Increased competition in the market has led to the fact that consumer expectations are now much higher than they were even 10 years ago, so companies have to fight for their customers. More loyal customers = more stable income. As practice shows, companies that succeed in creating the best client experience receive more profit than their competitors, with comparatively the same product or service.
Businesses can no longer afford to ignore this area since they risk losing their competitiveness. Most marketers are focused specifically on working towards creating a reputation for the company and increasing the level of customer loyalty.
Here are the main reasons why the client experience is so important and why you should pay attention to this field:
- Increased customer satisfaction transforms a new customer into a regular customer, bringing long-term profit for the company;
- Clients feel they are part of the "family";
- Your business stands out from the competition.
Here are a few more favorable job paths from which you can make a successful career because they are expected to grow shortly:
- Professions related to various latest technologies;
- Teaching and education including the creation of online education materials;
- Organizational skills and management;
- Marketing & Sales - with an emphasis on using the latest technologies.
Remember that it is never too late to learn, or to make new steps in your career. By overcoming your fears, doubts, and indecisiveness, you will be able to reach new horizons.