Let’s start with the human resources definition. Human resources (HR) are people, specialists, who form the basis of any organization. What are human resources for a company? This is the main resource and the main value of any company; it’s people, not any other resources that are the driving force and the basis for the stable work of a company.
And therefore, human resource management (HRM) is the most important management task which HR manager and HR department face.
The main functions of HRM are search, selection, training, and creating favorable conditions for the work of employees, as well as to guarantee the compliance with the rules of employment and internal work regulations.
The HR functions list also includes mediation between the organization and the staff and assistance in resolving any issues related to the organization of the work process.
In fact, the tasks of HR department in a company include all areas of staff activities, that is, compliance with labor laws, meeting security requirements, handling staff complaints, recruiting new employees, optimizing the number of employees to achieve optimal work efficiency, etc. HR specialists and departments also develop internal policies of companies: charter, dress code and other internal regulation – all these are among HR tasks.
Human resources responsibilities list
The scope of the work on human resource management is actually rather wide. All the main activities in the work of an employee, from hiring to terminating, are the scope of human resources management.
They are as follows:
Determining the needs of the enterprise in staff and recruitment
- Making staff schedule;
- developing requirements for jobs;
- assessment of the labor market situation;
- identification of external and internal sources of personnel;
- attracting candidates for vacant positions;
- selection of candidates;
- staff adaptation;
- management of professional career of employees;
- developing corporate competencies;
- developing professional competencies;
- determining requirements for staff competencies;
- determining compliance of the existing level of personnel competencies with the requirements;
- personnel certification;
- creating a corporate culture to achieve the goals of a company;
- creating a system of material and non-material motivation;
- analysis and job standardization;
- developing key performance indicators for company employees;
- knowledge management
- analysis and evaluation of an organization;
- optimization of organizational structure;
- resolving conflicts in an organization;
- designing jobs.
The status of the HR department in the overall organizational structure depends on the size of this company. There may be no separate department coordinating the activities regarding personnel in the smallest organizations. In fact, there may not be HR manager at all. However, the HR manager’s functions must be carried out by a person who is in charge of management.
Human resource management methods
In their practice, HR managers usually apply several types of personnel management techniques to solve production management problems. We can distinguish the administrative, social and psychological and economical methods of HRM.
- Administrative methods are based on the maintenance of discipline and penalties; this option is a way of making a managerial impact on employees.
- Social and psychological management methods influence the employees, with the help of the principles of psychology and sociology. Both individuals and groups of people are the objects of application of these methods.
- Psychological management methods are focused on a specific person, addressing his/her intellect, the inner world of this person, his/her feelings, and behavior in order to make him/her solving various tasks of a company. The basis of the use of these methods is the psychological planning of a new way of working with the staff to create a fruitful psychological state of the organization’s staff.
- Sociological methods provide an opportunity to control the importance and place of employees in a company team, identify leaders and guarantee their support, relate employee motivation to their results, ensure effective communication and extinguish conflicts.
- Economic methods are ways to influence employees by using categories and laws of economics.
It does not matter whether your company is large or small; the main thing is that a specialist performing the HRM tasks should know the basic principles and methods of this field of activity, especially in the UAE. Therefore, it is extremely important to organize the training of an HR manager so that this specialist be up to date with the latest trends in resource management, because the work efficiency of staff, staff turnover, and productivity growth directly depend on the work of this specialist.